Kalam with Children – Class 5 New English Best Notes – AP Class V English Kalam with Children Notes, Kalam with Children Notes , Class 5 notes Kalam with Children Here is complete notes and activities and also answers and solutions. Here class 5 chapter 1 notes , Class 5 chapter 2 notes , Class 5 Chapter 3 notes, Here complete notes for Class 5 English, Class V English Notes, English notes for class 5.
Activity – 1 – Kalam with Children – AP Class V English Kalam with Children Notes
1. What are the children doing in the picture?
Ans: The children are happy spending with Kalam .
2. Who is the man in the picture?
Ans: A P J Kalam
3. What do you know about him?
Ans: He was a great scientist. He served as the President of India.
fortune : luck
callipers : a metal support for weak or injured legs
bliss : happiness
etched : fixed something permanently in
spirituality : appreciation for religious values
give away : to present something
bravery : fearlessness in dangerous situations
disaster : an unexpected natural or man-made event causing great damage.
Activity – 2 – Comprehension – Kalam with Children – Class 5 New English Best Notes
I. Answer the following questions.
1. Who was the best friend of Abdul Kalam in his school days?
Ans: A. Pakshi Ramanatha Sastry was his best friend in his school days.
2. How can we remember the formulae of mathematics and science?
A. By constant application, one can remember various formulae of mathematics and science..
3. How did Abdul Kalam explain courage?
A. Saving others from disaster without minding about your own safety is courage.
4. How did Subramania Iyer inspire Kalam?
A. He showed Kalam real life examples at the seashore of Rameswaram.
5. What would be your question if you were there with Abdul Kalam?
A. What was your favourite subject in your school days?
II. Fill in the blanks with appropriate words.
1. According to Kalam ____________comes first. ( hard work )
2. Child is the first __________________. ( scientist )
3. Shri Siva Subramania Iyer taught us how __________ fly. ( birds )
4. One can remember various formulae of science and mathematics by _____. ( constant application )
5. Kalam advised children to see ___________ in others. ( good things )
Activity – 3 – Kalam with Children – Class 5 New English Best Notes
III. Read the newspaper article aloud.
Answer the following.
1. What is this newspaper article about? Ans: This article is about a 3-day Flamingo festival at Pulicat lake
2. Who participated in the rally? Ans: Administrators and visitors
3. Why did Siberian birds visit the region? Ans: For breeding
4. Where do we celebrate the Flamingo festival? Ans: At Pulicat lake
5. When do we celebrate the Flamingo festival? Ans: Once in a year
Activity – 4 – Kalam with Children – Class 5 New English Best Notes
Match the following words with their synonyms.
1. bliss ( e ) a) luck
2. success ( g ) b) begin
3. fortune ( a ) c) popular
4. award ( f ) d) attitude
5. famous ( c ) e) happiness
6. temper ( d ) f) prize
7. first ( b ) g) victory
Activity – 5 – Kalam with Children – Class 5 New English Best Notes
Write the opposites of the given words using the words in the help box.
( unreal, misfortune, first, enemy, failure, forget )
1. fortune x ___ misfortune
2. success x _______ failure
3. remember x ______ forget
4. last x ______ first
5. real x _______ unreal
6. friend x _____ enemy
Activity – 6 – Kalam with Children – Class 5 New English Best Notes
Fill in the blanks with correct prepositions of movement choosing the word
given in the bracket. One has been done for you.
e.g. I like to walk along the canal. (along / over)
1. The cat jumped ________ the stool. (in / over)
2. The earth is revolving ________ the sun. (around / over)
3. The train is passing __________ the tunnel. (out / through)
4. The girl is walking _____________ the road. (in / across)
5. They are going _____________ the building. (towards / on)
6. There is a cat __________ two tables. (along / between)
Activity – 7 – Kalam with Children – Class 5 New English Best Notes
I. Tick ( T ) the sentences that are written in the simple present tense and
underline the words. One has been done for you.
e.g. Fortune favours the hard working. ( T )
1. God helps those who help themselves. ( T )
2. I think the child is the first scientist. ( T )
3. I once worked with doctors. ( X )
4. They started running. ( X )
5. He taught us in his lectures how birds fly. ( X )
II. Complete the sentences with the simple present as well as simple past
forms of the verbs given in brackets. One has been done for you.
e.g. Kalam likes to spend time with children. (like) (simple present)
Kalam liked to spend time with children. (like) ( simple past)
1. The teacher _____shows______ real life examples. (show) (simple present)
The teacher ______showed______ real life examples. (show) (simple past)
2. Fortune _____favours_______ the hard working. (favour) (simple present)
Fortune ______favoured______ the hard working. (favour) (simple past)
3. They _____start_______ running. (start) (simple present)
They ____started________ running. (start) (simple past)
4. He ___teachs______ us in his lectures how birds fly. (teach) (simple present)
He ____taught_____ us in his lectures how birds fly. (teach) (simple past)
Activity – 8 – Kalam with Children – Class 5 New English Best Notes
I. Rewrite the following sentences inserting commas wherever necessary.
Underline where comma is inserted. One has been done for you.
e.g. Akshada visited Delhi Mumbai Agra and Kolkata.
Akshada visited Delhi, Mumbai, Agra and Kolkata
1. My mother bought fruits sweets and new clothes for the festival.
My mother bought fruits, sweets and new clothes for the festival.
2. My mother says “Do not tell lies.”
My mother says, “Do not tell lies.”
3. My date of birth is 26 August 2010.
My date of birth is 26 August; 2010.
4. Fathima please help me.
Fathima, please help me.
II. Rewrite the following sentences inserting quotation marks and commas wherever necessary. One has been done for you.
1. Sri Vidya asked will you give your pencil?
Sri Vidya asked, “Will you give your pencil?”
2. Teacher asked what is your name?
Teacher asked,”What is your name?”
3. My sister cried I want two chocolates.
My sister cried, “I want two chocolates.”
4. Pavan said I will submit my progress report tomorrow.
Pavan said, “I will submit my progress report tomorrow.”
5. Who will answer this question? the teacher asked in the class.
“Who will answer this question?” the teacher asked in the class.
6. Sravan asked what can I do for you?
Sravan asked, “What can I do for you?”
Activity – 9 – Kalam with Children – Class 5 New English Best Notes
Now write six sentences about A.P.J. Abdul Kalam using the information
1. The full name of Kalam is ___
The full name of Kalam is Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam
2. He was born _______
He was born on 15 October, 1931 in Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu, India.
3. He studied ________
He studied Physics and Aerospace Engineering.
4. He worked _____
He worked as aerospace scientist and the 11th President of india.
5. He died ______
He died on 27th July, 2015 at Shillong, Meghalaya, India.
6. He received awards like__________
He received awards like Padma Bhushan (1981) Padma Vibhushan (1990), Bharat Ratna (1997), NSS Von Braun Award (2013) and Hoover Medal (2009).
Activity – 10 – Kalam with Children – Class 5 New English Best Notes
Read the following interview of a student with a gardener.
Student : Good evening uncle!
Gardener : Good evening my boy!
Student : I want to grow a small garden at our school along with my friends.
Gardener : It’s a good idea.
Student : Uncle, can I get some useful tips from you to grow a good garden?
Gardener : With pleasure, my boy.
Student : Where do you get seeds and plants for the garden?
Gardener : I get them in the market.
Student : What tools do you use in the garden?
Gardener : I use spade, shovel, watering can etc.
Student : How often should you water the plants?
Gardener : Once a day in the evening.
Student : How do you make the soil fertile?
Gardener : By using manure.
Student : Thank you very much for giving me valuable information.
Gardener : Welcome!
Now frame some questions to interview your grandfather or a librarian.
1. Tell us about yourself ?
2. How do you maintain discipline in library?
3. What is your favourite book in this library?
4. Why do you prefer this job?
5. Do you need any special skills to do this job?
6. What is the importance of the library?
7. What kind of challenges have you faced in this profession?
8. Do you have children’s books in this library?
9. How many books are there in this library?
10. How do you collect the books?
11. Which newspapers are available in the library?
12. What are the timings of the library?
13. What about the weekly holiday?
14. How can we get a membership card?
Activity – 11 – Kalam with Children – Class 5 New English Best Notes
Here is Sravan’s daily schedule. Go through it.
Now respond to the following questions about your daily schedule.
1. When do you get up?
I get up at 6 in the morning.
2. At what time do you go to school?
I go to school at 8.30 in the morning.
3. How long do you stay at school?
I stay at school from 9 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.
4. When do you play?
I play at 4 in the evening.
5. At what time do you do your homework?
I do my homework at 6 in the evening.
6. How many times do you take meals?
I take meals three times a day. Sing and Enjoy
running : flowing
stream : a small narrow river
blooms : flowers
shiuli flower : parijatha flower
Activity – 12
1. Mark the sentences as true (T) or false (F)
1. The poet floats his paper boats in a small stream. ( F )
2. The poet lives in a town. ( F )
3. The poet wants someone to know who he is. ( T )
4. The poet loads jasmine flowers in the boats. ( F )
5. The shiuli flower blooms in the evening. ( F )
2. Read the lines from the poem and answer the questions.
1. Do you make paper boats?
Yes, I make paper boats.
2. When do you play with paper boats?
I play with paper boats in a rainy season.
3. Why does the poet write his name and his village name on the paper boats?
The poet writes his name and his village name on the paper boats to make others know about him and his village.
4. The poet loads the boat with flowers. Why does he do so?
The poet wants to reach them to a strange land.
5. Which line of the poem do you like the most? Why?
I like the following line most. In big black letters I write my name on them and the name of the village where I live. also like to write my name and my village name on my paper boats. So I like this line.